Sunday, January 27, 2013

Some of my favorite things & shared reflection

I love children, their aura, innocence, honesty, purity.  I love how with infants and toddlers we understand them through their actions for lack of verbal communication.  This connection teaches me something about communication with others in my life.  Really what I love is walking into St. Martin's House to a handful of children who are just themselves.  And to, "Aaaaaaaa--" (for Aaa-shley), a 14-month old prancing over to me to be picked up and snuggling into my neck for just a second before squirming down to resume playing, to smiles and clapping, to 3- and 5- year olds fighting over who gets to open the door for me.  I've spent quite a bit of time around children before, but these children are what I most look forward to every day. Everyone would have a friend.

Life is unexpected.  Life is a plethora of the unknown.  A youth surprises me by getting close, almost in a hug, and then remaining there, allowing my to keep an arm around her for a whole two minutes as I stood on guard waiting for the moment her comfort passed.  She typically holds out an arm or both to ensure everyone keeps their distance.  And for good reason, because just this week she was upset and decided to express that emotion by pinching and scratching--also unexpected but just the flick of a few fingers.
Right could always win.

I never expected that worlds could come together and I would be a sounding board, a confidant for some of the clients here.  Even those that seemed to try so hard to make it known to me that I was different from them and hardly capable of relating to their lives and hardships are open now, slowly with time.  And trusting, too.  Or maybe the trust had to come first.
Time will heal all hearts.

Back to communicating through actions.  Someone wise and admirable in my life put it something like this, "Don't hang onto the words of others but look to and trust their actions."  With infants and children, those who are nonverbal such as persons with disabilities, and others including the elderly, we have to look for and make the best decisions for them based on their actions, body language, and nonverbal cues.  Oftentimes I get so caught up in what people say or I wait for a friend to say the right thing.  Or, I may hear the same words from an acquaintance but no action taken to follow up or support those words.  Making the best decision for myself can be possible if I am aware of what that person is communicating to me through her actions.  I want to thank all the nonverbal persons currently in my life for reminding me of this which improves my work experiences. 
Love would have no end.

Remember the warmth a smile can bring and offer that to another.  Know how simple a greeting of blessings is to a friend.  I have a dream that acknowledgement means greeting with a smile, a nod, a positive energy.  I have dreams of kind words, affirmations, encouragement, broadening of minds to the betterment of the community, opening of minds and hearts to the injustices we can prevent each day, fighting for those who can’t fight for themselves.  Affirming children so they don’t grow up to affirm themselves by abusing others.  Taking an extra four seconds to listen. Taking an extra two to respond.  Taking a final half-second to smile. 
No more lives torn apart; and wars would never start.  This is the world we share.

Included is an incorporation of lines from the song "A Prayer for Every Year" by Plus One --the statement at the end of each paragraph.  Thank you for keeping up with me in this post!  
 

No comments:

Post a Comment